Friday, October 4, 2013

Data Analysis Memo #1

For my first piece of data, I originally intended to write a short post on The Autobiography of Jane Eyre and post it to Tumblr. However, when the time came to it, I was in a more Photoshoppy mood, so instead I made a graphic.

Visual media is often the most popular way to express fan enthusiasm on Tumblr. The graphic I made, pictured below, is what’s known in tumblr circles as a “picspam” – a collage of pictures or screencaps that usually centers around one theme. (Possible themes are a particular episode of a TV show, a particular fictional character, a particular fictional character’s most excellent hairstyles, screencaps that feature certain colors or settings, etc. – the possibilities are basically endless.) Picspams are a very common Tumblr “genre”, so it felt more natural for me to contribute to the AOJE fandom in this way than through a text post.

A screencap of my tumblr post. Click for full size.

In this picspam, I wanted to express one thing I admire very much about the series: even though it is set in modern day and produced on a rather small budget, it still strives to capture the Gothic atmosphere that is such an iconic part of Jane Eyre. Originally, I planned to express this in a text post, but I then decided that I wanted to incorporate images from the show itself; ultimately, I decided to let the images speak for themselves. I picked screencaps from episodes that feature particularly dark,eerie,  tense, passionate, or emotionally powerful scenes to encapsulate the Gothicness of it all. Then I posted it to my personal Tumblr blog.

Tumblr users can respond to posts in two ways: by liking or reblogging. Liking is very similar to the Facebook function of the same name; you click a little heart, and it goes on record that you “liked” the post. Reblogging is the way that Tumblr posts actually circulate; by choosing that option, you re-post the item on your own Tumblr blog. That way, it will be seen by all of the users who follow your Tumblr, and will gain more attention. Together, the like function and the reblog function make up Tumblr notes. All posts inform you of the number of notes they have received; it is something of a status symbol or mark of prestige on a Tumblr post.

Over the past week, my picspam post has received 83 notes. This isn’t a particularly high figure for Tumblr (popular posts have hundreds or thousands), but considering the AOJE fandom is still rather new and small, it’s a decent number. It is also about double the number of notes that my one previous post on AOJE, a text post, received.

Most interestingly, my picspam post was reblogged by Alysson Hall, the actress who plays Jane Eyre in the series. She added a quick comment: “CRAY! It’s BEAUTIFULLLL!!! [she says modestly because most of it is pictures of her]”.

Lankshear and Knobel’s concept of the attention economy comes to mind in this instance. Alysson Hall receives a great deal of attention in the AOJE fandom for obvious reasons; she is in the position of simultaneously being a Tumblr user and a writer/actress at the center of a fandom (like a smaller-scale Felicia Day, as discussed in the Ellcessor and Duncan article). Therefore, my post gained a lot of attention from being reblogged to her Tumblr blog. In fact, the majority of the reblogs were a result of her version of the post, not my original version.

STATS
Reblogged the post from Alysson Hall: 16 Tumblr users
Reblogged the post from my original post: 12 Tumblr users
The rest of the notes were likes.

This data is particularly interesting to me because it illuminated how the fans and the creators of this series share an affinity space on Tumblr. When a fan of AOJE posts about the series on Tumblr, it is with the knowledge that there’s a very good chance it will be seen by Hall and other people involved in making the show.


I am still narrowing down my focus re: Tumblr and AOJE, but this experience made me realize that I’m very interested in examining how fandom contribute and interacts with mediums that aren’t text-based. Yesterday, I did an experiment of sorts by posting a picspam and a text post of the newest episode to see which would gain more attention – but that’s another data analysis for another day!

3 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    First of all, you did an awesome job explaining how Tumblr works to a reader like me who is not familiar with the website. Secondly, you inspired me to watch the first three episodes of AOJE which were hilarious/ingenious. As someone who is familiar with Jane Eyre but not a scholar in the subject, I am one of those who appreciated the translation of the basic plot and characters into modernity but probably fails to recognize the subtle decisions the creator is making. In other words, both your inclusion in this affinity space as the scholar and your analysis of it destroyed the stereotypical assumption that fandom's are composed primarily of uncritical fans who merely appreciate a work instead of analyzing it.

    It is remarkable that you were actually able to get the creator of the show to engage with your tumblr post! That is just crazy! I think it was a wise choice to mention the Lankshear and Knobel article as any youtube series is driven on attention but even more important to mention the Ellcessor and Duncan article as the viewers of this show obviously have some interactions with the producer of it. One thing that might be interesting to find is if there is an instance where a fan's comment/input has any direct effect on some of the decisions made in creating a future show.

    Fun read!

    Laine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laine about your tie in with attention economy, and your description of how Tumblr works for those of us who are unfamiliar with it.

    I think you also did an excellent job of capturing the Gothic nature of the series, even though I haven't seen it, I can see the them throughout your post.

    I would be curious to see how many other people the show's creator interacts with on tumblr--was it just your beautiful post or is it something she regularly does? Also, you mention that your graphic post got more attention than your text post, I'd be interested to see if that is the tread for all graphic posts vs. text posts, or if it has more to do with the subject.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid to touch Tumblr because you might never see me again, but now I have a better sense of how it works. I think there are a few aspects of this analysis that you could develop. It seems to me that there are two major pieces of data represented here. One is the picspam. I'd like you to talk more about how picspams operate in this particular community and how this particular picspam engages in the fan community through visual communication. The second is the uptake of the picspam by other members of the community. I agree that the concept of attention here is very important, and that Hall's reblogging and comment on it were significant. I think you can develop your discussion of this quite a bit, though.

    ReplyDelete